Bhandardara is located on the bank of river Pravara in between the Sahyadri hill range in Ahamadnagar district. This is a beautiful holiday resort. Mountains which meet the sky, snarling waterfalls & dense forest attract tourist. Bhandardara Lake & Radha falls are major attraction at Bhandardara.
Like all natural spots, the magic of Bhandardara has experience to be appreciated. For the nature lovers Bhandardara spot is just like heaven. Bhandardara gives many opportunities for small treks & hikes for adventure lovers, among these treks to Ratangad fort is exciting trek.
According to legend, Shri Agasti Rishi contemplate here for a year (alive only on air & water).pleased with his meditation, god came on the earth & blessed him with a stream of Ganga river which now known as Pravara river.
Anandvaan resort is the most popular resort at Bhandardara which is located at the height of 2800 feet from the sea level.
Image Credit: http://www.journeymart.com
Tip for Visitors: It is good to visit Bhandardara during Monsoon & winter season August to February.
- Wilson Dam: This is the largest eastern dam in the India & one of the oldest dams is Asia which builds in 1910 on Pravara River. This dam is about 150 m high.
- Umbrella fall: During the monsoon season when the water level of the Wilson dam rises the water falls seen like an Umbrella because of this reason this fall is known as Umbrella fall. This waterfall can see from long distance also. But this waterfall can see only during July to October month.
- Mount Kalsubai: This is the highest braid of the Sahyadri mountain range which tourist can see from Bhandardara. This peak is 1646 m high, & favourite of trekkers. This peak is serving as the observation post during Maratha war.
- Agasti Rishi Ashram: This ashram is situated on the bank of Pravara River. In Ramayana, is mentioned that Lord Ram & Laxmana meted Shri Agasti Rishi to take his blessing.
- Ratangad Fort: This is the favourite fort of Shivaji Maharaja. This fort is very popular for trekking.
- Amriteshwar: This temple was built in 1100 AD & has been constructer in the distinct Hemadpanthi style.
- Radha Falls: This is a very good waterfall to visit, the roaring Pravara River falls from the height of 170 feet into a beautiful gorge.
How to Reach:
By Air: Nearest airport from Bhandardara is at Nashik (93 km).
By Train: Lagatpuri (45km) is the nearest railway station from Bhandardara.
By Road: There is regular state buses ply from the major cities Mumbai (180 km), Pune (191 km) & Nashik to Bhandardara.