Vijaydurg Fort is located in Sindhudurg district around 48 km south of Ratnagiri. This is the strongest as well as oldest marine fort on west coast of India. This fort was constructed during the regime of Raja Bhoja II during the period 1193 to 1205. At first the fort was named as Gheria. In the year 1653 after capturing the fort from Adil Shah, Shivaji Maharaja renamed this fort as Vijaydurg. In Marathi Vijay means victory & durg means fort. Presently the fort is spread about 17 acres area.
The fort is built on the Mouth of the Vaghotan River. the fort is protected by sea on three sides and another in east side by the ditch which now filled up. After entering from front gate in east, the path, skirting round the massive middle wall, enters the hidden inner gateway. The strong triple line of fortification had 27 bastions. There are several well & large tank for water supply on fort.
In recent years, about 100 m in the east on the fort a submerged wall of has discovered. This wall is 3 meters high, 122 meters long & 7 meters wide. But still reason behind the construction of wall & how it was build is unknown. There is the wet dock from 3 km from fort on the bank of Vaghotan River which was used by Marathas to build & repair their ships.
Image Credit: http://www.konkanonline.com/
Facts about Fort:
- According to legend, this is the second and last fort where Shivaji Maharaja personally hoisted the saffron flag.
- This fort is also well known for discovering the presence of the Helium Gas around the sun. It was observed by the British physicst Norman Lockyear during the solar ellipse of 18th august 1868.
How to Reach:
By Air: The Dabolim airport (180 km) in Goa state is nearest airport from Vijaydurg.
By Train: Nearest railway station from Vijaydurg is at Rajapur (75 km).
By Road: There is regular buses ply to Vijaydurg from Major cities like Mumbai (475 km), Pune (431 km), Madgaon & Rajapur. Also there are buses ply from Goa state.