Mahabaleshwar is the famous hill stations in Maharashtra. It is situated in the western ghat range in Satara district. The word Mahabaleshwar is made up by two different words which are” Maha-bal” & “Ishwar”. In Sanskrit Mahabaleshwar means “The god of great power”. It is located at the height of around 1439 m from sea level.
Mahabaleshwar align three villages which are Shindola village, Malcolm Peth & old Mahabaleshwar. It is the source of Krishna River which is the important river in Maharashtra which then passed in to Karnataka & Andhra Pradesh. Also the temple of Mahabaleshwar is located in this area which is Hindu god.
Now days, Mahabaleshwar is the famous as the holiday resort & honeymoon spot. Also we can see the farm of the strawberries & Mulberries.
Tip For Visitor: Mahabaleshwar is good to visit all over a year accept in Monsoon time in-between June to September.
- Veena Lake: This is major attraction of Mahabaleshwar. All sides of the lake is surrounded by the trees. This is the spot where tourist can enjoy the boat riding.
- Arthur's Seat: This is very lovely point to visit.. The spot was named after Sir Arthur Mallet, who sat at this point & fixes his eyes on the Savitra River, where he lost his wife & children in sad ferry accident.
- Kate’s point: In the east of the Mahabaleshwar the Kate’s point is located. From which we can see the two reservoirs Dhom & Balakwadi.
- Needle Hole Point: This point is nearer to the Kate’s point At this point we can see the natural rocks which having the holes between them. Also from this point we can see the Deccan traps, this is looking like the elephant’s proboscis.
- Three monkey Point: Here we can see the natural statue of the rock which looking like three monkeys sitting nearby each other, because of this only this point named as three monkey point.
How to Reach:
By Air: Pune international Airport around 120 km far is the nearest airport from Mahabaleshwar.
By Train: Satara is the nearest rail way station from Mahabaleshwar.
By Road: Mahabaleshwar is around 55 km from Satara. There are regular buses of the state government to Mahabaleshwar from Mumbai, Pune, Sangli & Satara.
Mahabaleshwar is connected by the National Highway 4. Also all points at Mahabaleshwar are connected by the proper motor-able roads.